Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Fiiiiiiiiinally.

4 1/2 months later I am finally writing the blog entry I should have written oh say, about 4 1/2 months ago. But what can I say? I've been too busy enjoying life, trying to keep up with it and just plain behind on about every damn thing. Better late than never though so they say. Whoever "they" is. Nonetheless, here it goes! I woke up Wednesday, October 31 at 4:30 with what I thought were contractions. Given I had thrown out every pregnancy book somewhere along month 5 of my pregnancy I had to go with what my body told me or at least what I had seen on TV. I decided to call in "sick" to my nanny job and take it "easy"--ha ha! Around 10:00 a.m. Robert and I headed to my haircut because Lord knows I won't miss those for anything and besides in the event I went into labor I had to look good, right? Then we headed to the courthouse for early voting because I wasn't about to miss out on my right to vote! Finally around 4 pm after almost 12 hours of contractions (ouch!) we made the 5 minute drive to LMH! Here I am in my last pic before the big moment: I've never liked hospitals nor have I ever stayed in one overnight so getting comfortable without medication was not an easy task. Given the slow progress in my labor I could not be officially admitted and therefore was without any painkillers for hours--not what I had planned. Unlike so many women I was ready to take full advantage of modern medicine via an epidural, pain meds or whatever was being served. The whole experience would have been so much more painful and draining if it weren't for Robert. He was so amazing that even the nurses commented on what a great team we were! My hope is that remains true for a lifetime. After two whirl tub baths, some pacing, foot rubs and more poking/prodding than I'll ever face again it was time to admit me! Up next was a life-saving cocktail of some sort of mild pain killers and most importantly--an epidural. So at about 11:30 pm I was officially a patient at LMH! The almost 20 hours of labor had worn both me and Robert out so we put on the Avengers and called it a night. After a restless night and having the epidural re administered twice for wearing off the contractions became faster and harder. The situation become rather risky due to complications with my contractions at about 3:30 pm Thursday, November 1 the doctor ordered a C-section if the situation didn't improve within minutes. I don't know what I believe or if I believe anything but in that moment I prayed. I asked Robert to pray and while he was on the phone with some choir members I asked them to pray. Whether it was prayer or fate or nature telling my body to do what it was made for, something changed and Amélia's heartbeat settled enough to prepare for the actual labor part since to this point I'd mostly done nothing but let nurses wait on me. At last it was time and while I don't remember the process very clearly I just remember thinking "this is it". Nothing profound, nothing frightful--just that simple thought. And before I knew it--she was there. In the flesh, in the breathing, beautiful flesh. I don't know really what I felt but I think the overall lack of surprise was the surprise itself. It just seemed so right and so meant to be. Everything else happened very quickly and I don't remember it clearly--in truth I felt very much an outsider rather than the star of the show. I couldn't do anything for myself and had to watch as the doctor frantically cared for the baby, Robert and the nurses scurried around, etc. In short, the whole experience was memorable but not as huge as I expected. I feel like those momentous occasions are coming as we grow with her. That felt like we were gathered at the starting line and the shotgun went off and now I'm in the race. I do know that without Robert and the incredible L&D staff at LMH my experience could have gone very differently. The ease with which everything happened was a true blessing and hopefully as sign of what is to come. Could I be so hopeful? I wouldn't allow pics which I do not regret. It seemed such an intimate moment already shared with a roomful of strangers I can't see why I'd share it with others. I have this one pic immediately after Cocoa was born and it will have to do: In hindsight, I realize how lucky we are to have had such an easy time with our baby but I guess that's the blessing that comes with an unplanned pregnancy? Either way, I can't imagine had I made a different decision. This is it. This was meant to be, God, fate, karma, chance, however you'll have it. And I'm really starting to settle into and cannot wait to see what become of my little Amélia Rose Schrag McNichols. She's chill, she's fiery,she's tough and she's gorgeous and that's just the first 4 months! I know my little mover and shaker will mix things up and I'm so lucky to get to watch it all unfold. :)

No comments: